The Dean Clough Collection
The Dean Clough Collection is made up of over 300 art works - most of them paintings, drawings, photographs and similar 2-d formats - that have been amassed over the past 25 years.
Many of the earliest pieces in the collection came from a scheme whereby Dean Clough Studio Artists 'paid' for their rent by donating items: something that proved impractical and was soon abandoned!
Other pieces have been purchased in order to variously assist artists (eg as a way of funding them to mount overseas exhibitions), or have been donated by artists who valued Dean Clough's role in the arts.
The bulk of the items in the collection have been purchased from the hundreds of contemporary shows that Dean Clough has mounted in its galleries over the years. The selection has in most instances been made by the Galleries Curator, Doug Binder.
Almost by default the collection has come to represent a snapshot of artists' working practice in the North of England since the mid-1980s. It is quite at odds with the media coverage of 'contemporary art': the bulk of it being representative and/or abstract with an emphasis on observation and technique.
The Collection is permanently featured throughout Dean Clough's public spaces, with one corridor gallery in particular (near the Mosaic Gallery) that showcases the finest works.
The latter might include paintings and drawings by Tony Earnshaw (1924-2000), Jeff Nuttall (1933-2004), Willy Tirr (1915-2000), Derek Hyatt (b.1931) and Tom Wood (b.1955); prints by David Hockney (b.1937), and Anthony Davies (b.1947); sculpture by Sir Antony Caro (b.1924), The Art Junkies, Ian Judd and Edward Cronshaw; and photographs by Bill Brandt (1904-1983) and Martin Parr (b.1952).
Sculpture and Installations at Dean Clough
Over the last two decades Dean Clough has amassed various art pieces around its site, not all of them conspicuous.
The Henry Moore Studio has probably left the most significant legacy of works. The brainchild of the late Robert Hopper (erstwhile director of The Henry Moore Institute), the 'Studio' was actually the complete ground floor of 'E-Mill'. Between 1988 And 2003 The Henry Moore Institute funded artists to work in the studio on a large scale and thereby develop their working practice. Some artists chose to create site-specific items during their tenure, namely:
CHRISTIAN BOLTANSKI (b.1944)
LAWRENCE WEINER (b.1942)
|Back to top|
|© Copyright 2010|